Union Square is an important and historic intersection in Manhattan in New York City, New York, located whereBroadway and the former Bowery Road – now Fourth Avenue – came together in the early 19th century; its name celebrates neither the Federal union of the United States nor labor unions but rather denotes that "here was the union of the two principal thoroughfares of the island".
Today, Union Square Park is bounded by 14th Street on the south, Union Square West on the west side, 17th Street on the north, and on the east Union Square East, which links together Broadway and Park Avenue South toFourth Avenue and the continuation of Broadway. The park is under the aegis of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.
The neighborhoods around the square are the Flatiron District to the north, Chelsea to the west, Greenwich Villageto the southwest, East Village to the southeast, and Gramercy to the east. Many buildings of The New School are near the square, as are several dormitories of New York University.
The eastern side of the square is dominated by the four Zeckendorf Towers, on the former site of the bargain-priced department store, S. Klein, and the south side by the full-square block mixed-use One Union Square South (Davis Brody Bond, 1999). It features a kinetic wall sculpture and digital clock expelling bursts of steam, titledMetronome. Among the heterogeneous assortment of buildings along the west side is the Decker Building.
Union Square is noted for its impressive equestrian statue of U.S. President George Washington, modeled byHenry Kirke Brown and unveiled in 1856, the first public sculpture erected in New York City since the equestrian statue of George III in 1770, and the first American equestrian sculpture cast in bronze. The historic moment depicted is Evacuation Day, November 25, 1783, when the British left the city and General Washington triumphantly led his troops back into the city.
Other statues in the park include the Marquis de Lafayette, modeled by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi and dedicated at the Centennial, July 4, 1876, Abraham Lincoln, modeled by Henry Kirke Brown (1870), and the James Fountain (1881), a Temperance fountain with the figure of Charity who empties her jug of water, aided by a child; it was donated by Daniel Willis James and sculpted by Adolf Donndorf. A statue of Mahatma Gandhi in the southwest corner of the park was added in 1986.
Provided by Wikipedia